It’s that time of year again! Last year, we had fantastic support and were able to distribute over 300 backpacks to those served at HOPE Missions, The LOT Project, Asher House, and South Main Chapel & Mercy Center.
Thanks to great community support, the backpacks we purchased last year are available for
$354 $346.92 a case (24) when we order enough quantity (link). Last year, we purchased 13 cases to make 312 backpacks. They may not be Patagonia quality, but we still see some from time to time. We’re hoping to find sponsors for 14 cases. Please let me know if you want to sponsor a case!
This year, we would like to try a different approach. Think Jockey Lot. Brainstorming with Nate Knox (The LOT Project), we came up with the idea of setting up stations with goodies and letting our guests pick up to 16 items (I just made up the number) using a punch-card system. The first station would provide the backpack and punch card. Then, the guests can “shop” the tables and pick items they want from the various stations set up around the area. We’re thinking there could be as many as 26 stations based on last year’s experience.
We met at South Main Chapel & Mercy Center on October 30th to discuss details. With a few tweaks, the “Jockey Lot” idea is a go. We will include a table (or two) with “free” items that don’t require a punch. We also felt like an extra case of backpacks would be good. That’s another 24 backpacks for a total of 336. I want to place the order as soon as possible.
Save the Date — Dec 22nd, 10am
First Presbyterian Church agreed to let us use their Family Life Center (basketball court-size) facility for the backpack packing event on December 22nd. The plan is to set up at 10:00 a.m. and begin the event at 10:30 a.m. We should be done by 12:30.
Items for the Backpacks
Now that the backpacks are on hand, we need to come up with a list of items to go into them! Here’s a list of items based on those we provided last year. Please coordinate with us before you purchase any of these items. We’ll need 336 of each item to fill all of the backpacks. As always, we greatly appreciate your feedback and suggestions.
- baby powder
- bus tickets (4 each)
- duct tape
- energy bars
- first aid kits
- flashlights (with batteries): 3 of 336, Carla Overly
- Hats: 26 of 336, Carla Overly
- hot hands, hand warmers — HOPE Missions
- hygiene kits
- ibuprofen (individual 2-packs)
- notebooks with a pen
- soap (bars)
- socks (long, winter weight): 12 of 336, Carla Overly
- toboggan, beanie, stocking caps
- zip ties
- ziplock bags (gallon): 336 of 336, Angela Willingham, Alston Wilkes Society
2023 sponsors, so far: 13-1/2 of 14 cases sponsored
- 1 case: Rejuvenate Church
- 1 case: Varennes Presbyterian Church
- 1 case: United Way of Anderson County
- 1 case: Central Presbyterian Church
- 1 case: HOPE Missions
- 1 case: Josh Colburn, Upstate Warrior Solution
- 2 cases: Anderson First Baptist Church
- 1 case: St John’s United Methodist Church
- 1 case: Boulevard Baptist Church
- 1 case: Clean Start
- 2 cases: NewSpring Church – Anderson
- 1/2 case: Anonymous donor
Price break! The sales manager is giving us a few $$ off of the case price. It’s now $346.92 / case. It’s not a huge thing, but it’s $7.08 a case saved!
Please let me know if you can sponsor a case or two this year. Email, text, call, or let me know! Thanks in advance!!