We’re teaming up together to build 300 backpacks for those in the community we get to serve.
We just received a shipment of large backpacks pictured here. I was able to stuff two large drop cloths and a full-sized wool blanket in the main compartment. These look fabulous to us!
That’s the good news. The challenge is this: $15 each in groups of 24 per case. We purchased one case, so that leaves 276 or 12 cases (just gets into the first price break). So, 12 cases @ $354.00 per case == 288 backpacks for $4,248 (plus $360 for the first batch) === $4,608 for 312 total backpacks.
Please let me know how many cases your organization can sponsor. We can order them to save a few $$ and simplify shipping.
We reached our goal!! All 12 cases have been sponsored!!
So far, we have commitments as follows:
- 1 case: United Way of Anderson County
- 1 case: Central Presbyterian Church
- 1 case+: Rejuvenate Church
- 1 case: Josh Colburn, Upstate Warrior Solution
- 2 cases: St John’s United Methodist Church
- 1 case+: Artisan Fellowship
- 2 cases: Anderson First Baptist Church
- 1 case: Boulevard Baptist Church
- 1 case: NewSpring Church
- 1 case West Point Home
Packing Party – Save the Date!
Since we’re planning to distribute the backpacks just before Christmas (Dec 24th for HOPE Missions), we plan to have a fun-filled packing party on December 17th at 10 am at HOPE Missions, 213 S Towers St. With enough hands; this won’t take long, so plan to come and enjoy the camaraderie!
So far, those involved in this effort include representatives from 16 agencies, including AIM, Anderson Emergency Soup Kitchen, Anderson Free Clinic, Asher House, Clean Start, Community Resource Guide, Family Promise, FAVOR Upstate, Grace Episcopal, HOPE Missions, NewSpring Church, Rejuvenate Church, South Main Chapel & Mercy Center, St Johns Clothes Closet, The LOT Project, United Way, and Upstate Warrior Solution.
Long List to Choose From
The list below is from our brainstormed list of items and those committed to providing parts. Please forgive me if I missed an email or text. I’m adding names/orgs next to the items to help me keep track. It’s truly wonderful to see how many people are supporting this effort.
NOTE: We’re NOT trying to get everything on the list, just ideas for everyone to consider. Please let me know if you want to collect one of the items.
List of Items Provided
- baby powder – Tammie Collins, Anderson Free Clinic
- backpacks – see above. 12 of 12 provided!
- Bible – Nate Knox, LOT Project, 320 Bibles — Kids from New Covenant to write notes in front! 🙂
- Blankets – Sunny Wells procured 503 blankets and 1000 sheets; Rejuvenate Church provided many as well.
- Bus tickets – Jim Boyer (Family Promise/Grace Episcopal): 4 each (total of 1,200 bus tickets)
- deodorant – Tammie Collins, Anderson Free Clinic
- chapstick – Carol Loyd, Anderson Free Clinic has 300 committed; Pati Brosche, Clean Start as well
- duct tape – Pati Brosche, Clean Start
- energy bars — Carla Overly, St John’s UMC
- flashlight with batteries: 300 by First Presbyterian Church (Jenny Pray)
- gloves — 42 pairs, Susan Baker + Carla Overly, St John’s UMC
- Hats – 100, Susan Baker
- hot hands, hand warmers – 40 Chelsea Yost, 80 on hand at HOPE, + Carla Overly, St John’s UMC
- Notebook with pen: (a bunch…i haven’t counted yet), Olivia Caldwell, Asher House
- soap – Tammie Collins, Anderson Free Clinic
- toboggan, beannie, stocking caps: 300 stocking hats: Artisan Fellowship
- ziplock bags – Pati Brosche, Clean Start
- zip ties — Carla Overly, St John’s UMC
List of Items to Consider (Bold==priority)
- electrolyte packs
- first aid kits: 50 donated by Steve & Sarah Crowder
- hygiene kits – 12 from Chelsea Yost
- ibuprofen (individual 2-packs)
- laminated wallet-sized bus routes
- mints / gum
- sleeping bags
- small wallets
- socks – hundreds received from Ellie Baker, Hunt Meadows Elementary, AD1 from the students’ Socktober sock drive. We still need to inventory them to see if we hit 300+ pair.
- umbrella, small/compact
Thanks for your desire to work together and make this a great Christmas for lots of people we serve!!
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or input!